You’ve probably seen many used tiny houses for sale signs recently or thinking of building one yourself. This can be attributed to the tiny house movement that has swept across many states and countries. Several TV shows are also dedicated to tiny homes living. People are sharing different reasons for choosing a small house living.
For instance, some people are choosing tiny houses to live without a mortgage. Others are investing in the houses to get homes they can easily travel with. But, regardless of your reason for choosing a tiny house, you need to consider its advantages and disadvantages.
According to a report by the United States Census Bureau, the average new house size in the U.S was over 2,400 square feet. Houses in America have more than two times the space of houses in Britain, Italy, and Japan. They are also three times bigger than houses in China and Russia. Nevertheless, some people are still choosing tiny house living for some reason.
Advantages of living in a Tiny House
Individuals that have lived in tiny homes have talked about their benefits.
- Lower Expenses- Building a small house costs less than a full-sized house. On average, you can build a tiny house for $23,000. A full-size house, on the other hand, can cost you $272,000 to build. This is almost ten times the cost of building a small house. When you cut down on the construction expenses for a small house, you can invest the extra money on other luxuries or save for your retirement.
- Energy Efficiency- Maintaining a tiny house is cheaper. Bills for fuel, water, waste disposal, and electricity are lower for a tiny house. Additionally, you can live off the grid because a wood stove can heat the entire house. You can also power your small house with a solar array. Some tiny houses come with composting toilets. That means you might not even need a sewage system to dispose of waste.
- No Mortgage- The long-term cost of owning a home increases because most people have to take out a mortgage to buy a home. If you take out a mortgage with an interest rate of 4.5% and pay over 30 years, you end up paying about $482,000. This is not the case with small houses. Most tiny houses owners own homes free and clear.
- Simple Life- A major reason why many people are looking for used tiny houses for sale is to lead a simple life. A small house doesn’t have space for unwanted stuff. It only has room for essentials. That means you only keep things that enrich your life. You also enjoy greater freedom when it comes to moving around. You can take your house anywhere you want at anytime. That’s because a tiny house has a small footprint and it doesn’t need a large space.
- Easier Maintenance- Taking care of a tiny house is easy because it has less space and fewer appliances.
Disadvantages of Living in a Tiny House
Living in a small house is not completely idyllic. There are several drawbacks to living in a small house. Here are some of them.
- Less Space-A tiny house has less space for the occupants. This makes living in it difficult, especially for individuals with kids or those in need of privacy.
- Less Storage Space- If you want to downsize or move from a traditional large house to a small house, you have to donate or sell some of your possessions. That’s because there is not much storage space in a tiny house.
- Zoning Rules- You may not need much land for a tiny house. However, building one can be difficult in some towns. That’s because zoning laws can specify the minimum dwelling space size.
- Financing- Getting a loan to build a tiny house can be a challenge if you can’t afford to build or buy for cash. Taking out a standard mortgage loan might not be possible. That’s because tiny houses do not have sufficient value that can make reliable collateral.
- Limited Entertainment- Hosting a dinner for up to 10 people in a tiny house is not possible. Thus, tiny house living can limit your entertaining capacity.
Despite having these advantages and disadvantages, tiny houses still appeal to different people. That’s why many people are looking for used tiny houses for sale. Some people are living in tiny houses alone while others are sharing them with families or partners. Their experiences explain why the tiny house living movement is becoming increasingly popular.