Winter is a rough season for all those among us who simply hate the cold. There is nothing worse than always feeling uncomfortable, cold and not to mention sick. And let’s not forget all the joys that come with the snow or the sub-zero freezing temperatures, like shoveling, car stuck in the driveway, frozen locks, slipping on ice and every other little thing that winter brings with it.
If you are one of summer-loving bunch, then these winter hacks are just what you need. These simple tips and tricks are so clever and easy, you’ll be surprised you haven’t thought of them yourself. From keeping the house warmer to getting by with things you have at hand, we are positive that you will find at least one of these tips useful.
So, let’s get started.
1. Stop the cold getting in from below the door by filling the gaps with pipe insulation
2. A sheet of tin foil placed against the wall behind the radiator will reflect heat back into the room, instead of being absorbed into the wall, making the room warmer
3. Let a hot shower running for 10-15 minutes with the door of the bathroom open. It will help warm and humidify your home
4. When you can’t unlock a door because the lock is frozen, heat your key with a lighter and try unlocking again. It will work
5. Cleaning your car windshield with vinegar will prevent it from freezing over
6. If the windshield get frozen and you don’t have a windshield scraper, any non-metal spatula of a credit card will remove the ice nicely.
7. Hate going to bed in a cold bed? Place an electric blanket under the covers a few moments before sleeping and turn it after lying down.
8. Dress up in warm clothes every morning by placing an electric blanket set on low inside the drawer where you’ll put the clothes you want to wear the next day.
9. Cold feet? Get extra warmth by cutting out wool insoles
10. Store knee high boots a lot easier and neater by putting cut pool noodles or bottles inside to make them stand straight
11. Make your favorite wool hoodie or sweater look like new by shaving the pills off with a razor
12. Don’t like wearing insulated long johns? Wearing your running tights or pantyhose under your pants will keep you warm just like the long johns.
13. No more tracking snow and mud in the house. Fill an old tray with pebbles or gravel and keep it next to your front door. where you will put your wet boots. The pebbles will absorb the water.
14. Riding a bike in winter means buying special winter tires. A cheaper solution is adding zip-ties to your tires. They can be easily snipped off and they provide more traction
15. Get some traction on your car tires when you’re stuck in the snow by putting kitty litter or your car’s floor mats under the tires.
16. Screw in short screws to the bottom of your old runners and you’ll never slip on ice while walking the dog again.
17. Another great use for the hanging plastic shoe holder: Scarf storage
18. Heat escaping trough the windows? Until you can replace them, putting thick bubblewrap over them will give you an extra layer of insulation and will still let in the light.
19. Make snow-shoveling a bit easier by spraying the shovel with a non-stick cooking spray. The snow will glide right off.
20. Never get your windshield wipers frozen stuck to the windshield again. Leave them up in the air when you’re parked and for extra protection cover them with old socks. It might look silly, but it works.
Which winter hack made your winter easier?
Share this post with your friends by clicking on the sharing buttons below.