CBD Oil (aka Cannabidiol) is now being used every morning at my house to help my dog. Sure, I was skeptical at first because it comes from the cannabis plant but as I researched it more and more, I had to try it. I am extremely glad I overcame my doubts with CBD Oil for dogs because my dog’s life as well as my own is so much better for it. Mine you ask? Yes! Prior to getting my dog started with hemp oil I was getting very frustrated with my pup on a daily basis. Whether she was not eating, having random diarrhea spurts on a weekly basis, shaking uncontrollably from thunder & other loud noises or just whining all the time for reasons I could not figure out. It all added up to my growing frustration with her.
As I read about the benefits of cannabis for your pets, I found that all of these issues I was experiencing with her could be helped with the use of a CBD tincture. So, I thought, what the heck, let’s give this a try. Within the first 30 days of daily use, I could see a significant improvement in her. She was getting back to her happy normal self.
It has been 8 months now of giving her CBD oil (also gave her some CBD dog treats as well along the way) and I’m happy to report she has not had one diarrhea episode which used to happen on a weekly basis. She also is eating all of her food regularly and now only whines when she has to go out for a bathroom break. I can’t say it completely solved the shaking during thunderstorms and fireworks, but it has helped, and I am going to test out giving an extra dose prior to loud noises to see if that will help so I can report back on that.
If you are interested in finding a great CBD Oil product for your dog, you should check out Simply Pets. They were a great resource when I was doing my research and they also have a top picks list that you can find here – Cannabis Oil for Dogs.
So, check it out for yourself and see if it can be of help for your puppy.
Benefits of CBD Oil for Dogs
CBD is no longer a new term when it comes to the health of dogs. Although most of you may think that CBD may be harmful for your beloved pet, it is not so at all. When your dog falls ill, you try all possible ways to get it back on its feet. You search for the best vet and the best medicines to get the animal cured as soon as possible. However, it is true that the various pharmaceutical medicines for animals come with various side effects. This is where CBD oil scores more than these traditional medicines. It not just heals a variety of health problems for dogs, it is also safe and natural.
CBD in Details
CBD or Cannabidiol is a compound extracted from the cannabis plant along with THC. However, unlike THC, CBD does not have any psychoactive effects on users. It will not make you feel high and is extremely natural and safe. There have been several tests and studies on CBD and it has been proved that it comes with anti-anxiety, anti-inflammatory, and pain-relieving properties.
How Does CBD Interact with The Body?
In simple terms, CBD interacts with the body through the ECS or endocannabinoid system. This system is found in all types of mammals and is basically involved in controlling and managing a wide array of biological processes that include sleep, memory, and immune system, to name a few. The ECS system has 2 types of receptors, CB1 and CB2.
Benefits of CBD Oil for Dogs
There are several benefits for your dog if you give CBD to the animal when it needs the most. Some of the major health benefits of the extract have been discussed below for your knowledge.
- Acts as A Painkiller: Tests have revealed that CBD is a powerful painkiller. It has pain relieving properties that can effectively manage pain in multiple ways. To start off, CBD temporarily stops the absorption of a chemical known as anandamide, which helps to dampen the various pain signals in the brain. As a result of this, your body experiences reduced pain sensations. Secondly, CBD has also been proved to possess rather powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Once the inflammation in your body is reduced, you will automatically feel reduced pain caused by various health conditions such as arthritis.
- Anticonvulsant: One of the most common uses of CBD is to control tremors, seizures, spasms, and tics. This is possible due to the anticonvulsant properties of the extract. Although there have been several tests to prove this fact, it is still a bit unclear as to how Cannabidiol actually works as an anticonvulsant. When you talk about seizures, it is normally caused by uncontrolled and rapid firing of neurons in the brain. Some research say that CBD helps to restore order to these neurons which causes them to fire in a normal manner and thus, prevents seizures.
- Anti-Inflammatory: As discussed above, CBD has anti-inflammatory properties. It is believed that this property has made CBD highly popular in treating various types of health conditions. The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD is linked to its natural ability of interacting with the receptors of the immune cells. It interacts with the CB2 receptors that are normally situated inside the immune cells. As a result of this, CBD is able to evoke several types of immune responses, one of which is to control and fight inflammation. There are several health problems that are characterized by severe inflammation such as irritable bowel disease, MS, and arthritis. There are also times when inflammation may occur due to improper functioning of the immune system that causes it to attack the various healthy cells.
- Stress and Anxiety Reliever: One of the pros of CBD is that it is not just beneficial for the physical part of your health. There have been studies that prove that CBD can also effectively manage the symptoms of a number of mental conditions such as anxiety. You will be surprised to know that, just like humans, dogs also tend to suffer from anxiety related problems. They may also suffer from stress and various types of physical reactions like humans. Some of the most common types of anxiety related issues seen in dogs include noise anxiety, separation anxiety, and travel anxiety, amongst many more phobias. Common symptoms of anxiety in dogs include aggression, persistent barking, tremors, chewing of rubbish, shoes, etc., and defecating and urinating. Normally, anxiety medications target the serotonin receptor in the body and boost the production of the chemical in the brain. CBD also works in a similar manner and thus, helps reduce different feelings of fear and anxiety.
- Antiemetic: Dogs also tend to vomit and feel nauseated. These are basically common symptoms and often prove to be the result of any specific health condition. Sometimes, these may also be due to the side effects of certain medications or treatments. If left untreated it may give rise to loss of appetite, rapid weight loss, fatigue, and dehydration. There are several medicines in the market that are aimed at controlling the feeling of nausea and vomit. However, these often come with several side effects such as strong sedation, hypotension, excessive drooling, lethargy, diarrhea, and lack of appetite. On the other hand, studies have stated that CBD is far better than most of the antiemetic medicines. It does not come with any side effects and is completely natural.
- Slow Down the Growth of a Tumor: There are various situations wherein harmful tumors may grow in the body. Health situations like cancer, as well as, other types of malicious tumors may often prove to be fatal. Although there is no known cure for cancer, there are several treatments that mainly focus at slowing the process of growth of the tumors along with reducing the various symptoms and pain. Research has stated that CBD has anticancer effects on dogs. CBD protects the healthy cells and also boost the rate at which cancer cells absorb chemotherapy agents.