There’s some good news on the horizon for Star Wars fans, an indie group is currently a “spiritual successor” to Battlefront 2, and it will utilize the powerful CryEngine3. The indie group has entitled the project as Star Wars: BattleCry, neatly combining the names of the popular franchise and engine into one recognizable name.
The group is hoping to have the game in an Alpha stage sometime later this year, but the full game is obviously a couple of years away. The indie developers issued an official synopsis and mission for the game which you can read for yourself. “Dedicated to bringing you the Battlefront experience once again but with the possibility of all new game modes never before seen in the Battlefront series and seamless ground-to-space combat creating some of the biggest battles ever seen in a Star Wars game.” There aren’t a lot of details on the project just yet, but they did release a few bits of info, which you can read below.
- completely free, standalone game that runs on CryEngine 3
- no port for consoles
- the game will most likely be multiplayer only. Single player campaign only if popular enough
- there will be an option to switch between 1st and 3rd person views
- some customization of classes, but nothing that strays too far from original Battlefront titles
- there will be ground maps with usable aircraft. Space-to-ground is a possibility
- maximum of 32 players either side, depends on how the engine copes with the high demand