Kickstarter games pledges have reached a total of $107.6 million, and it only looks to grow from there. Kickstarter released the stats today on the official site, and it contained some very interesting numbers. There have been over 4,500 games featured on the site, with over 1,000 of those games appearing this year alone.
Kickstarter has brought us a number of great projects, not only games, but gaming hardware as well. The most intriguing being the indie focussed Ouya system that’ll be coming in the summer. The Ouya was one of the most successful Kickstarter campaigns to date, and it really made the site what it is today. You can check out some of the stats down below.
Games Category Stats
- Total Dollars: $107.6 Million
- Successful projects: 1,476
- Total Backers: 633,242
Dollars Pledged to Games
- 2009: $60,601
- 2010: $546,362
- 2011: $3,855,692
- 2012: $83,144,565
- 2013: $22,423,264 (to date)
Kickstarter also released a few of the notable titles that you can play today as well, and a few of them turned out to be some of the best indie games I’ve played. You can read ‘em below.
- FTL (Faster than Light) (2013 IGF Finalist), a space simulator aimed at recreating the feeling of cruising through the galaxy in a spaceship.
- Kentucky Route Zero (2013 IGF Finalist), a magical realist adventure game set on a secret highway in Kentucky.
- Organ Trail (at PAX in the Indie Megabooth), a zombie apocalypse parody of the classic Oregon Trail.
- Blindside (2012 IndieCade Finalist), a survival/horror adventure game with no graphics at all.
- Guns of Icarus (at PAX in the Indie Megabooth). You are the captain of a steampunk airship in this post-apocalyptic MMO.
- God of Blades (at Kickstarter Arcade), a sword-and-sorcery saga RPG for iOS.
- Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, the 25th anniversary edition of this classic where you jump, dash and twist through a warped dimension.
- Strike Suit Zero (at Kickstarter Arcade), a fast and frantic space combat game for PC.
- Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller, a supernatural adventure game where you play an FBI agent on the hunt for a serial killer.
- Zombies Run, an immersive mobile game where you help rebuild civilization after a zombie apocalypse.
- Sidius Nova, a combination of turn-based and real-time space strategy.