The forever-symbol of the Renaissance, romantic Florence, is an iconic destination for its architectural beauty and incredibly heart-capturing vibe. A dreamy dot on the world map, it is, no wonder, the perfect getaway option for honeymooners, bridegrooms, and soon-to-tie-the-knot couples! Simply strolling the scenic alleys of the historic centre, admiring stunning Firenze masterpieces and monumental landmarks, such as the world-renowned Michelangelo’s David, Botticelli’s Primavera, Ponte Vecchio, and Piazza della Signoria instantly fills the first pages of an exciting chapter in the book of your life together as partners! In this guide, you will find ideas to have the most romantic times in Florence, including where to go, dine, and stay!
Activities to inject some amare to your daily endeavours
If you would love to explore the artistic treasures of Florence, then we suggest visiting at least one of the major Firenze museums, either the Accademia Gallery or the Uffizi Gallery, both hosting thousands of masterpieces and being visited by millions of tourists annually. To skip the long queues, you could buy your tickets in advance from b-ticket or another similar platform.
It should also be noted that the Italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage allows free entrance to all visitors on the first Sunday of each month between October and March. This applies to all state museums (here is a handy list of all state museums for your reference). However, the lines can be quite long on those Sundays, so be prepared for some waiting. In addition, if you are planning a Tuscany visit on Valentine’s Day, the same ministry offers reduced admission to cultural sites and museums to couples (you buy two tickets and pay for one!)
Other mind-blowing local landmarks worth exploring are the breath-taking Bargello, Palazzo Vecchio, and Palazzo Pitti, as well as the must-see classics, the Baptistery and the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore.
More ideas on what to do in Florence during a romantic getaway:
- Go shopping at Via Calzaiuoli, Via Calimala, Via Roma, or Via Tornabuoni, all streets hosting the biggest international and Italian fashion brands.
- Enjoy unique sightseeing experiences on a horse-drawn carriage (usually stationed in either Piazza della Signoria or Piazza del Duomo) or by bike or by Segway or by the City Sightseeing Bus!
- Follow the footsteps of Dante, whose unrequited love for Beatrice has led to the creation of the epic poem “The Divine Comedy”. One of the places related to this love that inspires passion and romance is Chiesa di Santa Margherita dei Cerchi, where couples leave letters in a basket, asking Beatrice to fix their love life or help make their love last throughout time.
- Soak up magical sunset views from Ponte Vecchio (the Old Bridge), a place many people choose to declare their love for one another or even propose.
- For jaw-dropping city views, we suggest heading to the Church of San Miniato Al Monte and Piazzale Michelangelo, just a few metres up the hill. Or Giotto’s Bell Tower or Brunelleschi’s Dome or The Arnolfo Tower, the three highest points of the city.
- Wander through the amazing Boboli Gardens, the Gardens of Villa Bardini, and the Garden of Roses, all providing exceptional cityscapes and opportunities for relaxation and holding hands!
Romantic Restaurants in Florence
Some of the most elegant dining venues in Florence to celebrate your love or a special occasion in your life as a couple are:
- Michelin-star Borgo San Jacopo (BSJ) – Located on a side street parallel to the Arno River, it pampers visitors with a creative menu starring fish dishes that can be savoured with unsurpassed views of the picturesque Ponte Vecchio from the lovely terrace.
- SE-STO – Tucked at the top terrace of the Westin Excelsior Hotel at Piazza Ognissanti, it will make you feel as if you are sitting above the clouds! Expect spectacular 360-degree views of the city’s rooftops through transparent glasses, a fine selection of local, award-winning wines and champagne labels, alternative food options, and a modern, soft, and, at the same time, sophisticated, ambiance.
- Ora d’Aria – Nestled between the Uffizi Gallery and Ponte Vecchio, this one-starred Michelin restaurant enchants with its eclectic menu with the innovative flavours, hearty lunch formulas, and superb dinner experiences paired with excellent wines and a contemporary atmosphere.
- Enoteca Pinchiorri – A 3-Michelin star, dinner-exclusive venue with a formal dress code (jacket and tie for the gents) that welcomes guests with the 5th most impressive wine cellar on this planet and an explosion of tastes. Quirky combinations and unique creations await to astonish you as they are delivered at a historical palace near Santa Croce!
- Il Palagio – A stylish one-Michelin-star restaurant within the luxury 5-star Four Seasons hotel that skyrockets any dining venture, infusing it with supreme romance elements. An excellent assortment of masterly prepared dishes, refined flavours, exquisite Sunday brunch options, and a spellbinding 6-hectare garden with flowers and trees are some of the factors that will send waves of infatuation toward you. There is also a second restaurant called Al Fresco where you can enjoy grilled steak and homemade pizza next to the swimming pool from June through September!
Most romantic places to stay in Florence
For starters, you could stay right in the heart of all the action and the incredible Florence allure – the historical centre, the oldest part of the city. That is if you are okay with the rather noisy streets from the thousands of visitors enjoying their share of bliss in the world’s most romantic city.
Staying there gives you easy access to all the main sights in Florence (everything can be reached on foot within 30 minutes), including the amazing ruins of the 13th-century wall that once circled Firenze. Some great locations to stay are near the Santa Maria Novella train station, Piazza Santa Croce, Piazza San Marco, Oltramo, or the Duomo, so you are within walking distance from Ponte Vecchio, the Uffizi, Palazzo Vecchio, and countless antique galleries, artisan workshops, restaurants, museums, and shops. The night life is also quite intense with lots of pubs, discos, and restaurants that are open until midnight.
For more cost-effective accommodation, we recommend heading out of the historical centre, which will also enable you to experience life with a local as we are talking about residential areas. Neighbourhoods outside the Piazzale Michelangelo and Piazza Beccaria are great options in this respect, and are only a 15-minute walk from the Duomo.
Of course, the fabulous countryside is a dreamy choice if you desire more peaceful, quiet, and romantic moments with your partner, away from bustling streets and the hustle of the city. In this case, expect a wide range of luxury villas with massive gardens featuring a swimming pool and other high-end facilities, such as tennis courts, sauna rooms, and jacuzzis. Here is a top 5 of luxury villas in Florence we found on kinglikeconcierge.com.
No matter how you choose to spend your Florence getaway with your significant other, nothing can prepare you for the fairy-tale ventures standing by, around the corner. And, if you are unsure of how you wish to breathe in a renewed air of amour to your love life, simply give in to Florence’s unbeatable magnetism and let yourself feel every single heartbeat along the way.