Medical alert systems have improved over the years. Today, you will find a system that will alert you when your senior falls or one with a GPS if they get lost. Medical alert systems also range from one-button to smart systems. However, they all do the same job. The most challenging part is selecting one that meets all your needs and budget. The best thing to do is to take your time to explore all your options. Research is always essential before making any purchase since you will compare prices and features without rushing. If you have trouble selecting the best system, this article is perfect for you. Read on to discover how to choose the right medical alert system for your needs. #
- Mobility. The best medical alert system must go wherever your loved one goes. Consider how often your senior citizen leaves the house and where they love spending most of their time. If your loved one is homebound or does not drive, go for an at-home system. The system includes a base unit with a wearable device, like a pendant or wristband, which they wear around the house. Most at-home medical alerts have a range of 600 to 1000 feet, meaning that your loved one can stay safe around the compound. They are also connected to a landline or use cellular technology. If your aged loved one is driving or active, get them a wearable device they can take with them. These systems range from smartwatches to fashion-forward pendants. They also come with several features, including GPS, messaging, and activity tracker.
- Budget. While budget is a crucial determining factor, you may want to spend a little bit more to keep your loved ones safe. After all, the medical alert system is their lifeline in an emergency. Most devices charge a one-time equipment fee and a monthly monitoring fee. You will pay both fees upfront, and then you will be responsible for the monthly monitoring fee until you decide to cancel. The starting price can land anywhere between $20 and $200, including the upfront price for the equipment, monitoring, and activation. The monthly subscription depends on the service and features of your device and can range from $20 to $60 per month. The more the services and features, the more the monthly bill. Also, check for add-on features like a vial of life, lockbox, or an extra wearable device. A vial of life is a sheet with personal information for emergency responders, while a lockbox allows your loved one to carry keys and other valuables with them. The vital goal here is to aim for a system that meets your loved one’s needs.
- Features. Always go for a device with features that meet your aging loved one’s needs. You do not have to say yes to every add-on, but consider what will be best for your loved one. Automatic fall detection is among the features you cannot ignore. Research shows that adults over 65 years are more likely to be seriously injured when they fall. Automatic fall detection can be crucial in such situations since they can call for help even if your loved one is unresponsive. Some alert medical systems also come with an app that allows you to talk to your loved ones, see where they are, and respond to emergencies. You can also look for a device with two-way communication features. These devices will allow you to talk to monitoring professionals and provide information about an emergency.
- Benefits and Drawbacks. Every medical alert system will have its advantages and disadvantages. So, constantly evaluate the two sides before deciding on one. For instance, if you find a device with mobile capabilities, check whether it will work in your country. Also, ensure you read customer reviews before making any purchase. Reviews will tell you whether people liked the device and any problems they experienced with the system. Doing this research will ensure that you do not run into any issues after purchasing the equipment. Check out this guide to get you started on your search.
- Customer Service. Never forget to check the customer service quality of your potential medical alert system. Check how long the company has been on the market and read reviews about their customer service. If they have several negative reviews, the chances are that their customer service is poor. Look for a device with excellent customer service. You want a company that will help you promptly if you have a problem with the device.
You can now select the best medical alert system with these tips in mind. The tips may sound simple, but take your time going over them to ensure you are informed before making any purchase.