With COVID-19 vaccines rolling out around the world, it’s looking increasingly likely that many top destinations will experience something resembling normal tourist traffic during the second half of 2021. People have been cooped up in their homes for far too long, and many are sitting on piles of saved money that they’re ready to spend on a vacation as soon as they possibly can. If you’re one of those people, there’s a good chance that you’ve started researching your next vacation destination already.
Here’s the thing that you need to know about traveling in 2021 from a financial standpoint. Most of the world’s hotels, restaurants and other tourist spots didn’t do so well in 2020. Many took on a lot of debt just to stay afloat, and as soon as tourism resumes, those businesses will want to do everything they can to get themselves out of the red and back into profitability. With so many people so anxious to spend some time relaxing away from home, businesses in tourist cities are expecting no shortage of traffic when mass travel resumes. In other words, you’re not likely to find many discounts and should expect to pay the full “sticker price” for your flight, hotel stay, meals and activities.
If you have a taste for luxury and don’t want to burn through your entire savings paying for one vacation, you need to choose a destination where your money will go further – and that’s just one of the many reasons why your next vacation should be in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Here are some more reasons why Montego Bay is one of the world’s top tourist destinations.
Incredible Luxury for the Money
If you’ve stayed at some nice resorts in the United States, you’ve probably experienced some fairly luxurious accommodations. Nothing could possibly prepare you, though, for the level of luxury that you can enjoy in Montego Bay for an extremely reasonable cost. Montego Bay is the top tourist destination in Jamaica, so you might assume that the prices there would be high. The prices for accommodations, food and activities in Montego Bay, however, are quite reasonable – and the level of luxury for the money is truly astonishing.
Consider the private villa Coconut Cottage as one example. Coconut Cottage is easily one of the top accommodations of its kind in Jamaica, but the daily rate is still well within reach for anyone with the budget for international travel. Despite the reasonable cost, the villa offers a list of amenities that are virtually unheard of elsewhere.
- Private car and driver with 24-hour access.
- Private chef with incredible daily meal selections.
- Housekeeper and private laundress.
- Private heated pool.
- Free membership at the neighboring Round Hill Resort during your stay.
World-Class Jamaican Dining
If you’ve never experienced what real island-style dining is like, Jamaica will absolutely blow you away. Jamaican food is about far more than jerk chicken – although that’s one dish that certainly belongs on your must-try list if you’ve never eaten it before. The nation also boasts an amazing bounty of seafood and local produce – and choosing Montego Bay as your vacation destination means that you’ll have easy access to the best food that Jamaica has to offer. Here are just a few of the highlights.
- Seafood: Being an island nation, seafood is one of the staples of the Jamaican diet. Freshness is everything when it comes to seafood, and nothing beats being within a few miles of where the fish is caught. Some of the top seafood options in Jamaica include lobster, shrimp, mahi-mahi, marlin, snapper and tuna.
- Fruits and Vegetables: If you’ve never visited a tropical destination before, you’re going to love the bonanza of completely unfamiliar fruits and vegetables in Jamaica. Breadfruit is a carbohydrate-rich staple food that’s wonderful roasted or fried. Plantain has a banana-like flavor that’s intensified through high-heat cooking. Other delicious local fruits include coconut, guava, jackfruit, mango, passion fruit and starfruit.
- Beverages: There are two beverages that everyone who visits Jamaica absolutely must experience. The first is Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee, which costs a fortune outside Jamaica but is quite affordable when purchased locally. The second is Red Stripe, Jamaica’s incredibly delicious local lager. Although you can buy Red Stripe in the United States, the majority of the Red Stripe available here is brewed and bottled in the U.S. Visiting Jamaica gives you an opportunity to enjoy the real thing.
Montego Bay Is the Ideal Destination for Ocean Lovers
Being a waterfront city, Montego Bay is the ideal destination for anyone who enjoys vacationing on the ocean. If you’re the type of person who likes nothing more than to spend a day relaxing on the beach and pausing only occasionally to dip your toes into the ocean, you’ll have ample opportunity for that. If you prefer activities that are a bit more on the adventurous side, though, here are a couple of options that await you in Montego Bay.
- Snorkeling: The Montego Bay Marine Park is Jamaica’s first protected marine park. It includes a reef with a breathtaking array of marine life and is the ideal spot for snorkeling. If you’d rather stay out of the water, you can also take a tour in a glass-bottom boat.
- Sport Fishing: As you can imagine, fishing is a big deal in Jamaica – and the best way to experience sport fishing in Montego Bay is by hiring a fishing charter. They’ll help you find the fish, and you can even make arrangements to have your catch cooked for you.
Pleasant Weather All Year Long
Being in the tropics, the weather in Montego Bay changes little from day to day. The average high temperatures range from about 82-83 degrees Fahrenheit during the winter months to around 88-89 degrees during the summer. The low temperatures, meanwhile, range from about 71-72 to 76-77 degrees. Gentle, constant ocean breezes make the afternoon temperatures seem cooler. Since Montego Bay faces the ocean to the west, it features some of the most dramatic sunset views in all of Jamaica. It’s extremely popular, in fact, for visitors to Montego Bay to take sunset cruises and experience the evening views while listening to gentle reggae music on swaying boats.