The winter is almost over. The two-week weather forecasts look increasingly positive, and you’ve started daydreaming about all the fun spring activities you can do in the backyard. As you open the patio doors to survey the backyard after a long season of snow and wind, you notice something strange. The patio door isn’t as nice as it once was.
Part of getting ready for spring is ensuring that all elements of your outdoor space – including the doors and windows – are functioning properly. If you’re unsure whether to replace your patio doors – or just need that little extra push of motivation to get the job done – take a minute to peruse this post.
Signs That It’s Time to Replace
It can be challenging for homeowners to tell whether their patio doors need replacement or just a little TLC. If you’re unsure what to do, look for these telltale signs that your doors need upgrading:
- The door is difficult to operate: Do you struggle to open the patio door? Does the hardware stick? These are signs that the door might have warped due to age and damage. Besides being a nuisance, difficult-to-operate doors tend to be less efficient.
- It is cracked or peeling: Cosmetic damage doesn’t always mean you need to replace it. You may be able to get away with repainting and re-caulking your patio door. But if the damage is extensive or unsightly, it’s best to start from fresh.
- Your energy bill is increasing: Old, inefficient patio doors can let cold air in during the winter and warm air in the summer, meaning you pay more to heat and cool your home. If you sense you’re overpaying on your energy bill, your patio door may be the culprit.
- The style is outdated: If you don’t like the look of your patio doors, upgrade them – sometimes, it’s as simple as that!
- The patio doors are old: With regular cleaning and maintenance, patio doors can last 30 years. If yours are approaching that age or older, it’s time to welcome new doors into the home.
Treat the items above as a checklist. If you experience one or more of the situations above, call a professional, quality window and door company to help you start the replacement process.
The Benefits of New Patio Doors
If all you need is a little motivation, consider the following reasons for upgrading your patio doors.
When you upgrade, you can choose a patio door that best suits your aesthetic and lifestyle. You can opt for the increasingly popular double sliding patio doors. You can choose from vinyl, wood or aluminum. And you have a say on the type of glass in your doors. With an upgrade, you also get improved safety, lower energy bills and a better flow between outdoor and indoor space.
To summarize, you’ll know it’s time for new patio doors when you spot the signs listed above. And replacing your old, inefficient doors is beneficial in several ways. Get spring started on the right foot – out with the old, in with the new!