Whenever you are planning to move to a different country then it is important to know about the cost of living in that country, which will give you a rough idea of how you will survive there. As far as Denmark is concerned it is quite an expensive country to live.
However, if you work in this country, you will also get a relatively good salary and in addition to that education as well as the healthcare in this country is free. However, half of your salary will be deducted from you as various taxes.
As far as the house for rent in West Sealand (In local language hus til leje Vestsjælland) is concerned, an 85 sq. meter apartment may cost you in the range of $1000 to $2000 depending on the area you have selected.
Along with that, you must also add another $120 to $150 for your utility cost. Even your internet will cost you about $25 per month.
As such, education in Denmark is free, but only if you choose to send your children to a public school system. However, if you prefer to send your children to a private school then even a kindergarten school will cost you around $400 per month. If you decide to send your children to any international school then you may have to shell out $700 per month.
The following are average cost of various grocery items in Denmark:
- One liter of milk will cost $1.20
- 500 g bread will cost $2.40
- 1 kg of Rice will cost $1.90
- 1 dozen eggs will cost $3.30
- 1 kg cheese will cost $11.50
- 1 kg of apples will cost you $2.80
- 1 kg of bananas will cost $2.60
- 1 kg of potatoes will cost $1.70
- 1 kg of onions will cost $1.40
- 1.5 lt bottle of water will cost $1.40
- A bottle of wine will cost $9
- Beer of 0.5 liters will cost $1.80
- Pack of cigarettes will cost $6.70
If you want to eat in the restaurants in Denmark, you can expect the following prices:
- If you take a meal at an inexpensive restaurant then you will spend $18
- Meal for 2 at any mid-range restaurant will cost you $77
- Eating a meal at any fast-food chain will be $11
- Domestic Beer will cost you $7
- Imported Beer will cost you $6
- Water will cost you $3
Travel and transportation Cost
If you buy a monthly card for commuting on public transportation then it will cost you $68, while a ticket cost for any single trip will be usually $3.
If you decide to drive your car then you should expect to pay a cost for gas of around $1,60 per liter. If you decide to buy your car in Denmark then it is likely to cost you more. A new Volkswagen Golf or its equivalent car will cost $40000.
With the above details, you can get an idea about the cost of living in Denmark. You can take your decision once you get a job offer in this country.